Responding to the needs of the poor and suffering, particularly women and children, is the special call of the Sisters of Mercy. Following the example of Jesus, the Sisters move in the midst of the world teaching, healing, and comforting those in need.
Sisters of Mercy are women who commit their lives to serving God's people, especially those who are sick, poor and uneducated. In the spirit of the Gospel, our mission is to help to overcome the obstacles that keep them from living full and dignified lives. A life of prayer and community animates and supports us in our mission.
Animated by the Gospel and Catherine McAuley’s passion for the poor, we, the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, are impelled to commit our lives and resources to act in solidarity with:
- the economically poor of the world, especially women and children;
- women seeking fullness of life and equality in church and society;
- one another as we embrace our multicultural and international reality.
This commitment will impel us to develop and act from a multicultural and international perspective;
- speak with a corporate voice;
- work for systemic change; practice non-violence;
- act in harmony and interdependence with all creation;
- and call ourselves to continual conversion in our lifestyle and ministries.